To make anytime of the year…or day. (;
Simply take the peppermint flavor out and they can be used for any celebration!!!
I was going to make these on Christmas Eve but I had so many desserts in mind and I didn’t want these as well, and given how flipping sweet they are I thought they deserved a day of their own…(; Plus I thought why not just make the Christmas spirit last as long as usual and make them now?
We bought the the cupcake liners and toppings at TJ Maxx aka one of the greatest stores ever.
How to make these cuties:
cook time: up to 18 minutes
makes around 22-24 cupcakes
serving Size: 1 (or more)…(:
- VANILLA CUPCAKES:
- 2 1/2 cups of flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 3/4 cups of white sugar
- 2 eggs (yolk and whites)
- 2 tbsp of vanilla bean paste (You can use extract but I just adore the little black specks from the bean!!!)
- 1 1/4 cups of whole milk at room temp
- VANILLA PEPPERMINT CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 5 1/2 tbsp butter at room temp
- 5 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- one 8 oz low fat cream cheese at room temp.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR CUPCAKES:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two cupcake tins with cupcake liners…as you can see I have used christmas colors but you can switch it up however you like(:
- In a small bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Slowly add the eggs in one at a time until well combined.
- Add the vanilla bean paste to the milk and stir.
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the egg and butter mixture and beat with mixer until well combined. Add 1/3 of the milk and mix. Repeat this with the remaining milk and flour mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cupcake tins and bake for 16-18 minutes depending on what you like. Insert toothpick just in case and add time as needed.
- When these came out of the oven I just dumped them out onto the counter and let them dry that way but if you do have a wire cooling rack that would be better. (Also please note that if you are in a time crunch or you just find it easier to frost chilled cupcakes like I do put the cupcakes in the fridge for about thirty minutes.)
INSTRUCTIONS FOR FROSTING:
- In a bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat all ingredients on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Get a heavy duty freezer zip lock. Unwrap two candy canes and crush the hell out of them. Until they are ultra fine.
- Stir the crushed candy canes into the frosting mixture and put it in the fridge until hardened. Don’t worry it won’t really set very hard.
- Frost them as usual, garnish with sprinkles and decorate with with whatever else your heart desires.
I hope you try these out before the season is over if not just for fun. My picky mother loved them and so did my dad.. even though he devours anything and everything, he loved them as well. Thank you for reading this and I hope you enjoyed this post…until next time.
P.S. Merry Christmas!!!!